Monday, April 16, 2012

Survey Results

For my survey I decided to poll the students of GCSU, using the grade levels as my demographics. I wanted to get there opinions on their predictions of what will happen in the future biological weapons and how safe do they feel at the moment from a biological attack. I hoped to see how age and educational development affected the students’ views on biological weapons, if as the students get older if there was more disillusionment with society. My process of polling was handing out printed forms of my surveys in each of my classes and also by polling students in Bell Hall. I managed to get a good number of freshmen, sophomores, and juniors, but I only got three seniors.


Questions and results:
Do you think that biological weapons pose a serious threat to American citizens?
Freshmen: 54% Yes 46% No
Sophomores: 83% Yes 17% No
Juniors: 33% Yes 67% No
Seniors: 67% Yes 33% No
Total: 57% Yes 43% No

On a scale of 1 to 10 (ten being very safe) how safe do you feel from a biological attack?
Freshmen: 7.5 average
Sophomores: 6.3 average
Juniors: 6.2 average
Seniors: 7 average
Total: 6.9

Do you believe another epidemic such as bird or swine flu will occur in the next few years?
Freshmen: 54% Yes 46% No
Sophomores: 67% Yes 33% No
Juniors: 83% Yes 17% No
Seniors: 67% Yes 33% No
Total: 64% Yes 36% No

Do you think America is developing biological weapons?
Freshmen: 77% Yes 23% No
Sophomores: 67% Yes 33% No
Juniors: 83% Yes 17% No
Seniors: 100% Yes 0% No
Total: 79% Yes 21% No

Do you think America is doing all it can to protect you from biological weapons?
Freshmen: 62% Yes 38% No
Sophomores: 50% Yes 50% No
Juniors: 67% Yes 33% No
Seniors: 0% Yes 100% No
Total: 64% Yes 36% No
Reflecting on the results of my survey it is very hard for me to see any discernible pattern between level of education and views on biological weapons. It is apparent that freshmen feel significantly safer than all the others who were surveyed while the juniors feel the most unsafe. The only question that closely shows an increase in disillusionment with society and level of education is question four if the sophomores are taken out of the results. From these results it is clear to me that I have not interviewed enough students to get an accurate spectrum of results to draw any further conclusions. I believe that if I were to survey further and increase my number of responses I would get a more accurate depiction and find that as a student’s age increases so does his disillusionment with society. I think that if I were to get these results it would support Atwood’s message in Oryx and Crake.

No comments:

Post a Comment